![]() |
| Marie Madeleine teaches Kounworoma to sew |
![]() |
| The trainees from Balignar with their certificates |
Fada's cattle market
My favourite
On top of the sacred hill
On the way back from Fada I stopped in Ouagadougou and collected Dominic
and she went on to Gaoua, our regional capital here in the south west, where I
joined her to visit Loropéni – a UNESCO World Heritage site – and a fétisheur, a sculptor of fetish objects
and a basket-weaving village group. Loropéni is one of those places which
demand you use your imagination. It is
some walls from the 11th century.
Quite big walls, enclosing quite a large area.
Dominic, spoilt for choice!
The fetisheur's household shrine
Me, doing the correct thing at the fetisheur's house
And then, after saying goodbye and promising to visit Canada, I left
Dominic on the bus back to Ouagadougou – she is now in London where she and
Jessie are staying with darling Nell Corbett and catching up with Thenain –
those VSO ties do bind!
Loropeni, very atmospheric walls. No, really.
And this week-end? I shall be
quietly writing a report, sorting pictures and preparing to say goodbye to Simon
who leaves for Canada on Thursday afternoon.
I have promised myself a gin and tonic, my last tin of baked beans and
fried guinea fowl eggs. Bet you are all
envious!!









No comments:
Post a Comment