
And I am
glad that I decided to visit to say goodbye, because Dominique who was planning
a 2-week visit to Canada will be staying there longer, maybe until
October, to manage family affairs which
have gone critical….. oh dear! My
Westerners’ social circle is disappearing.
I shall have to nail Thenain and Isabelle to the floor …
We went on
Sunday to the birthday celebration of the most formidable woman, Madame Lucie
Kaboré/Traoré, who is 93! She was left
widowed with 8 children, and when her in-laws arrived to annex all the
matrimonial assets – customary practice – she decided to fight back and has
been a notable African feminist campaigner ever since. She still runs a Foundation for Widows and
Orphans, a medical centre for widows and orphans, a holiday camp for widows and
orphans etc. and on Sunday she danced
for us – several times. What a force of
nature!


No comments:
Post a Comment