Tuesday, 14 May 2013
Sunday lunch
Sanata, Farida and Awa came over on Sunday to teach me how to make African food. We went to the market, of course, and they advised me on what to buy, and I was interested that although their domestic skills are huge, they clearly do not do the shopping ... maybe money is just too precious. There was then a positive flurry in the kitchen for about an hour and a half and the resulting rice with a fish and tomato sauce with strange ingredients - potash for example - was simply delicious. They were hugely proud of themselves. And Awa had never seen a white person eating before, she said. They cooked enough rice, I thought, for twenty; I was wrong; there was just enough left over to send to Farida and Awa's mother, aunt and uncle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment