Friday, 1 March 2013

Arrival in Diebougou, formerly Jebugu


Ouagadougou Days are over….
Yesterday evening I arrived at my ultimate destination, Diebougou.  It is a town in the South West region, close to the Ghanaian border, and is the base for VARENA Asso, the NGO I will be working for.  I was brought from the bus station in a trailer attached to a bike, sitting like a queen among my possessions;  my luggage, a brand new mattress, a water filter and a gas cooker.  My house is on the outskirts of town and by most standards here it is sumptuous.  I have three bedrooms, some 6 mattresses, an ensuite shower room and a separate shower room.  Not to mention a sitting room, terrace, roof terrace and fully equipped kitchen with a fully functioning FRIDGE.  I am overwhelmed!  The house is surrounded by a large courtyard, with three acacias, a young mango tree, a young avocado tree and lots of bougainvilia.  And other stuff ..... Not that I could see all that in the dark ….  Ousmane from VSO BF directed operations – mosquito net;  check.  Water filter;  check.  Water supplies while the filter is being sterilised; check.  Then with instructions about the early start and keeping the gates locked at all times he and Ali were gone and the taximan was gone; I was able to walk about my new home, unpack a bit, rest a bit, unpack a bit more, play with light switches and taps etc. and finish unpacking.  Oh, and move the desk over to the window so that I can type, look up, and see into the courtyard.
A very odd experience , sleeping in my new home under my mosquito net.  Listening to next door’s metal gate clanging, odd bangs and voices, and mopeds rushing past.  For a while a local maquis (bar) was rocking and there was even drumming at one point.  I managed to stay asleep most of the night, and was ready when Mrs Next Door – whom I have still to meet – started pegging out her washing at 5.30 am.  I was pretty much on the same mission, and had soaked my own week’s washing overnight so was able to rinse and peg out, too.  Small things cleaned and pegged out are small things indeed, I  know, but pleasures nonetheless.  And I cannot recommend Burkina Faso highly enough for lovers of pegging out.  Cotton, jersey all dry in an hour.  Whooo!
At 7am I was ready for collection – which did not take place until 7.30am.  I was taken directly to VARENA Asso’s office with Simon and Ousmane to be introduced to the director and the two field workers I shall be in touch with;  I am sharing an office with one – a young married woman who specialises in women’s projects.  The meeting was brief as the director had a meeting elsewhere.  We are settling in today and tomorrow and will not start in earnest until next week.
Considerable progress has been made.  I have a BF bank account, I know my way around the market and shops of Diebougou.  I have bought some of the basics I need thanks to Ali and his scooter, so I can look forward to a hot meal this evening.  I have an operational water filter so can begin to wean myself off bottles; the filtering, boiling and cooling routine is going to take some getting used to!  Simon says he doesn’t bother any more.  Ummm.  I am not that brave.  Have decided I must have a Mobylette so as to be independent – too far, and too hot to walk to VARENA Asso, and I cannot be dependent on Simon as it will drive us both mad.  I shall ask Ali to sort it.

No comments:

Post a Comment