Wednesday, 20 March 2013

In which I am visited ...

I had two sets of visitors yesterday – quite a departure.  Firstly a young woman I was introduced to on my first day here pitched up with a chum – mostly curious about the house, I think – anyways we had a chat;  she is 23 and still at lycée trying to get her Bac finished – not uncommon here …. Sort of infantilising  for her, though.  There is no work at all for young people who do not want to be market porters or sell scraps of crap for peanuts….  They have to go to Ouaga or Bobo to stand any chance.  Arlette - for that is her name - os sorting my out with a French tutor.

 Then just as I was about to retire to bed with a good book three young women from the office turned up.  Had they been Brits I would have assumed they were drunk;  in fact I think they were just a bit over-excited at their temerity, as I am such an old, old person.  One brought her baby with her, but she had to send the little one home as she screamed every time she looked at me.  Pre-verbal – therefore just the white skin, I guess.  A shame, as Angela Jolie-like I was quite looking forward to getting my hands on a little black baby…..  I am known for my love of small babies.  Really.  My visitors regaled me with stories about ritual killing and cannibalism among the Lobi – mostly crap, I am sure – and finally we agreed that I could be tutoy-ed rather than vousvoy-ed so progress has been made.  I also begged for some work – any work – while my great mission gets clarified.  Fingers crossed.  And finally - and most importantly to me - we discussed meat shopping – I shall be escorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment