Friday, 1 March 2013

Mostly weather, water, and work

Well, it is Thursday evening and I am sitting waiting again.  Simon has taken me to a roadside stall on the way back from the office to have a bowl of do du – which is yoghurt with sugar and fermented millet – lovely to eat, cooling, with ice in it.  It seemed wimpish to say ‘I still don’t really drink the water here’ so I shall see if I regret my wimpishness later.  I was alright with the tô we ate – savoury sago blancmange with a spicy sauce – but I am still filtering and boiling, filtering and boiling, for my drinking water, cooking water and tooth cleaning so am being a wimp most of the time.  Simon at 28 is well-hard having done 2 years in Senegal, 1 year in Mali and 6 months in Burkina Faso.  He is very patient with his new dependent.

I am also waiting for the mains water to come on.  Apparently, according to the women at the office, it mostly comes on during the night – sometimes at 12.30, sometimes at 1.30 – which explains why I caught it at 4.30 am on Tuesday.  I have to fill up my two tanks otherwise no showers, no flushing of the loos, no washing.  I haven’t thought about water so much since I don’t know when.
It is really, really hot.  Unseasonably hot everyone says.  But there was a little rain last night and there are clouds again this evening, so maybe, maybe, there will be rain to cool us all down.

Today I was given my first task.  I am to work with Kadi from the office and put together a vox pop among older residents of Diébougou asking them about their views on development – how far BF has come, where they think it will go, if the direction is correct, what they think the future holds for the next generation.  I have to canvass villagers, shop-keepers, civil servants, professionals . . .  they will apparently talk to me more readily than to a fellow BF national.  This is being done in all the regions by NGOs who are preparing a sort of state of the nation paper for central government.  Good!  Something to do!  I am putting aside the terrors of writing it up in French for the moment.
Morning's update - water came on, I was not sick, and the rain is still expected!

1 comment:

  1. Mum and I are in a gorgeous boutique hotel in Cambridge attending a literary event at Newham. We are in our very cosy twin beds with a cup of tea and the iPad and have just caught up on all your engrossing blogs. What a remarkable new life. For me especially, it reminds me of going to Russia aged 20 and finding myself in an entirely different universe., however, it was extremely cold rather than hot but the hunt for food and water was also predominant. But the absence of life's previously unnoticed luxuries is also strangely liberating in the end, I hope you'll find it the same (she says from her luxurious hotel bedroom!). Can't wait to her how your conversations with the locals go! But it sounds like your purpose their is clear and extremely worthwhile and no surprises that the women are key to the success do the mission. Hope your thermostat kicks in soon. Love from us both, and mum says she will write too soon. Ps please forgive obvious spelling mistakes but can't work out how to correct copy on this thing xxx

    ReplyDelete