Then I sat
on the bus for the usual 5 hours, making myself anxious with the thought that
my 2½ hour wait at the bus station had advertised to the entire town that I was
off for the week-end, and that I had left my prized laptop, my highly-desirable
scooter, my bank cards and my emergency-running-away dollars in the house. I really know how to have a good time! Would I manage to have a week-end of fun at
all?
Arriving at
immense and baking Ouaga I started to exchange texts with Thenain, my hostess,
and we met outside a petrol station just around the corner from her house. By then I had had what must surely be in
competition for the slowest ever taxi ride – about 5kph in a cab really held
together by wire and Isopon – while being chatted up in a wholly polite way by
a very determined chap who thought I should bring him to London because he
wants to meet the Queen. Baking heat.
Thenain was
born in France but her parents come from Cȏte d’Ivoire and she now lives in
Birmingham – therefore she is French-speaking African and speaks English,
Spanish and Djoula as well - we met on a VSO training week-end. She is a huge source of knowledge on all
things West African – including lovely little salty beignets with piment
powder, and soft drinks, and – oh, just generally on how to manage a little
more fun! Guaranteed to cure lingering anxieties!


No comments:
Post a Comment