Thursday, 4 April 2013

Return to the Boondocks

At the bus station – chaos.  No extra buses are available for Easter week-end and consequently double the number of people were fighting to get onto each coach.  I got wedged in the queue and stood for 45 minutes, with my super-heavy back-pack, wrestling with everyone else to make sure I got a seat…..  at first I thought I would pass out in the heat and be trampled to death, as I was hot and rushed and waterless before I even got to the bus station.  

Then I thought my knees would give under the weight … couldn’t consign the bag to the boot until I was sure I had a seat ….. babies up my nose, baskets in my ears, but you will be shocked to hear that the Brit middle-class elbows prevailed.  I got a seat, got my bag sorted, bought a large water and settled for the return trip. 

Five hot hours later, I arrived back in Diébougou.  I was stumbling along towards the house, and luckily a colleague passed and took pity on me – she took me, backpack and all, to my house.  I literally fell off the back of her moto trying to dismount with a 20 kilo rucksack full of goodies – she was more than a little disconcerted and I did wonder for a moment if I had dislocated the other shoulder – but all was well and I hadn’t even broken my bottle of wine which was carefully wrapped in a large mosquito net.

And as my reward for my relative isolation yesterday evening we had a fabulous tropical storm they will not have had in Ouaga …. But I shall go back there at the end of the month for more fun and shopping!
 
I felt very clever getting this shot of lightning;  as I lay in bed afterwards congratulating myself, it occurred to me that one of the many features of my camera I have yet to master is the rapid-fire shooting which would have done the shot for me .... I will catch up with how things work eventually!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment